top of page

Guide to Get a Police Clearance Certificate (Police Background Check) in South Korea with Wonderful

The Police Clearance Certificate or a Background Check Certificate is one of the documents that most of foreign nationals who have lived in Korea might need when they go back home. Typically many jobs such as teaching posts require for the applicant to submit a Police Clearance Certificate to prove that you did not commit any crimes during your stay. You might also need it if you are applying for an immigrant visa in another country such as the USA, you might also need one to prove your past criminal record.

The process to apply for a Police Clearance Certificate has been fairly well documented on this website for the Montreal Korean consulate. For most people this option should work, that is if you are able to go to the Korean embassy in your country in person to make the application. However, due to Covid-19, there have been many restrictions on movement, which has made this option much harder.

Based on recent requests, Wonderful has conducted research on how to help navigate this issue, if the embassy option is not available for you. The requirements for the certificate are the same for foreign applicants from all nationalities, despite their current residence status. The documents needed are:

  1. Application form for Criminal background check

  2. A recent passport size colour photo (3x4)

  3. A valid passport (if current passport is different from the passport during your stay, then you need to bring both passports)

  4. A passport used in Korea (when apply for ARC card)

  5. A copy of your ARC card or a Korean visa

  6. If your name is changed by marriage etc. you are also required to provide a notarized document to prove your identity.

For foreign nationals currently living in Korea, you should be able to go to the nearest police station with the documents and request for a 범죄경력조회 in Korean and they would assist with the process.

Please note that under Korean law it is ILLEGAL to request for a police background check that includes the lapsed record for any purposes other than checking your own criminal history. We have received this request a number of times, and it seems that some countries ask for this when applying for citizenship. However, Korean law forbids anyone (Korean or foreigner) from requesting for the record to submit to any other institution or third party. Therefore, you can only apply for police criminal background checks that does not have the lapsed record.

If you are not in Korea and do not have access to the Korean consulate, then these two options might be helpful for you.

  • By applying directly to The Korean National Police Agency

You can apply to the Korean National Police Agency via international courier. However, you would be required to add a finger print identification document from your country's police authority along with the basic required documents. You can find the format for the fingerprint documents by clicking the link. All your applications forms must be completed in handwriting, and you would then address the package/documents to the following Korean address:

Korean National Police Agency

Sinwonban, Foreign Affairs and Planning Division,

97, Tongil-ro, Seodaemun-gu,

[03739] Seoul Korea. +82-2-3150-2676

When the Korean National Policy Agency issues the certificate, they will contact you, then you need to contact the international courier service to pick up your certificate and deliver it back for you.

Wonderful can assist with scheduling a courier service such as DHL/Fedex to pick up items locally and ship them to your location, as well as following up with them in case there are any issues with shipping them to Korea. Wonderful can make the payment on your behalf as well.

  • By applying through 3rd person (family, friends or agency)

Alternatively, if you have a friend or relative in Korea, then you might also be able to have your friend make the application on your behalf. You would be required to provide a Power of Attorney form, including your friend's fingerprints identification document.

If you need help with online shopping, payment, delivery and shipping in Korea, we would be happy to provide assistance. You can reach us on Facebook, Kakao Talk or Email.

Most police report assistance requests take around 20-40 minutes to get done on average, but times can vary depending on your situation.

Regarding our pricing, we charge for the time taken working on your request by the minute, for as low as 1250 KRW per minute, depending on your preferred pricing package. There are NO processing fees when you pay us via bank wire transfer. (You will pay only the cost of the item(s)). When we charge your bank card, there is an 8.5% processing fee that goes to the payment processor for their services. We do NOT benefit from this fee. For more information regarding our pricing, please follow this link.

You might also find these links useful:

16,096 views2 comments

2 comentários

26 de ago. de 2022

Please message if you want to promote your product or website.


Jessica Vuong
Jessica Vuong
03 de mar. de 2021

I'm currently still in Korea, heading back to Canada later this month. I went to the local police station, and they told me they cannot process the criminal record background check unless I have a job lined up back home that's like a public institution (eg. University, school, etc.), So even for part time jobs that would not work. Hope this saves other people time and effort if they're trying to obtain one.

bottom of page